Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Newspapers closing up shop....good riddance! Next up...our local "5 o' clock news"



A lot of talk about the destruction of democracy etc etc with all these newspapers closing up shop. I believe BuffaloGeek said it best....

"The problem with newspapers is that we don’t need journalists to report, we need them to investigate. Reporting is a crowdsourced function done by millions of bloggers and TV/Radio reporters. There is little value in waiting for The Buffalo News to show up on my doorstep 18-24 hours after something happened with a basic 5 W rundown of an event or news item. I’ve already read it online, watched the pundits opine on it, heard talk show hosts dissect it and personally synthesized it by the time the ink is dry on the newsprint. Much of what I get in the daily paper are reprints of AP wire stories and articles featuring content I’ve already consumed in various other medium. What’s the added value?

I’m not breaking any new ground here, but I do think I have an idea for how newspapers shall remain relevant.

Stop reporting and start investigating."

As Lawrence would say from Office Space..

1 comment:

Mike-Politik said...

since I am the only one reading this blog....I shall tell myself that not all papers have been bad...but most of them have been worthless in serving the common good.

Look at our elected officials. Nuff said.